USA to allow some undocumented people to obtain work visas

Today, the Obama administration has announced a major change to immigration law.  Under the change, undocumented persons who were brought to the United States when they were under the age of 16, and are now under the age of 30, can apply for a renewable work visa, if they have been living in the United States for at least five years, have not had a felony, “significant” misdemeanor or multiple misdemeanors, and are either student or veteran, or have graduated high school or have obtained a GED.

The work visa will be valid for 2 years and can be indefinitely renewed.  Once obtained, a person will be able to have a social security number issued and can obtain a driver’s license.

More information about this important change can be found at the Department of Homeland Security’s website.  Here is a link to today’s press release.